I know we’ve all been there when you have super ripe bananas and you can’t decide what to do with them but you also don’t want to throw them away. In comes this banana bread. It was inspired by the countless chocolate covered strawberries I saw leading up to Valentine’s Day and is anything but boring. With the healthy ingredients of this loaf, it can double as breakfast as well as dessert.
This banana bread certainly doesn’t just have to be for Valentine’s Day. Take away the heart shaped strawberries and you have a normal loaf of banana bread that is topped with strawberries and chocolate. But really, aren’t hearts fun all year round?
This banana bread was made to be vegan, with the exception of the chocolate. However, you can easily find vegan chocolate chips and then the loaf is fully vegan. Enjoy Life makes vegan chocolate chips that are absolutely delicious.
I always prefer to use half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour when baking. I find that the texture of the bread turns out the best that way. You certainly can use all whole wheat flour but that tends to result in a much more dense bread. As always, you can find this bread on my Instagram or Pinterest and if you give it a try, please take a picture and tag me or send it to me via email or DM. Enjoy everyone!
Chocolate Strawberry Banana Bread
* 3 very ripe bananas
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/3 cup almond milk
* 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
* 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
* 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1 cup chopped strawberries
* 1/2 cup chocolate chips
* preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard size loaf pan.
* Mash the bananas then add in the almond milk, apple sauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir it lightly then add in the melted coconut oil. Adding the coconut oil last after mixing the previous ingredients helps to prevent it from solidifying when it hits a cold ingredient.
* Add in the two flours and baking powder and stir to combine. Don’t over mix!
* Gently fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips and pour into your prepared pan. Top with additional strawberries and chocolate chips.
* Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. Allow the bread to sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting.