I am officially two months away from my first half marathon of the year so it is time to kick my training into high gear. With these extra miles and strength training, adding more protein to my diet is essential. I have eaten oatmeal before every half marathon I have run so I created a baked oatmeal recipe that would be perfect for before or after a run. I added flax seeds to the mix to add omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein. I also added in a whole zucchini for hidden veggies. And of course, blueberries are a great source of antioxidants and energy. So bake up this oatmeal and lace up your running shoes, soccer cleats, hockey skates, your work stilettos, construction boots, whatever it is that you need the extra energy for and get out and do it. Enjoy everyone!
-2 cups oats
-1 tsp cinnamon
-2 tbsp flax
-1 tbsp chocho protein powder (or your favorite protein powder)
-1/4 cup coconut sugar (or granulated or brown sugar)
-1 3/4 cup almond milk (or any other milk)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
-1/2 cup shredded zucchini
-1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the oats, cinnamon, flax, protein powder, and coconut sugar.
3. Shred your zucchini and drain it of the extra liquid. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. If you don’t drain it, you’ll be left with a watery, bland oatmeal. I press the zucchini between two towels to remove the excess liquid.
4. Add in the milk, vanilla, apple sauce, and zucchini.
5. Gently stir in the blueberries.
6. Bake for 25 minutes.
Eat and enjoy the energy.